3. The presence of the gifts essential for fulfilling the purposes and functions of the pastoral office
a. The necessity for and importance of the requisite gifts for the pastoral office
1) The clear demands of the most relevant texts
1 Tim. 3:2b
1 Tim. 3:4-5
2 Tim. 2:2
2) The inferred demands of the revealed tasks of the pastoral office
1 Tim. 5:17
John Owen, The Work of the Spirit, vol. 4 of The Works of John Owen (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1967), pp. 504-505.
3) The inescapable connection between the pastoral office and the intention of Christ who gives men to fill it.
John Owen, Sermons to the Church, vol. 9 of The Works of John Owen, pp. 432, 433, and 449.
b. The source or impartation of these gifts
1) The ultimate or immediate source
1 Cor. 12:4ff
John Owen, Sermons to the Church, vol. 9 of The Works of John Owen (Edinburgh: Banner of Truth Trust, 1967), p. 442.
2) The secondary or mediate sources
Solomon’s prayer for wisdom in 1 Kings 3:4-15
1 Tim. 4:15