1. How does Christ gather and defend his church?
By the preaching of his gospel, which the Spirit applies savingly to the hearts and lives of his people. (Acts 9:31)
2. What is the true church?
It is the congregation of true believers, chosen to eternal life, and endowed with saving faith. (1 Peter 1:2)
3. Where can we find this church?
It is found wherever God’s Word is purely preached, the sacraments are rightly administered, and church discipline is faithfully exercised.
4. How does the church show itself as communion of the saints?
By receiving in faith the gifts of Christ and using them for the welfare and salvation of others. (I Cor. 12:8,25)
5. Which benefits do you receive as a living member of the church?
In the gospel the Holy Spirit assures me of the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and eternal life. (Rom. 8:11)
Things to Look Up:
- What promise concerning his church did Jesus give? Matt. 16:18,19.
- How was the church established on Pentecost? Acts 2:41,42.
- How does Paul describe the seven-fold unity of the church? Ephesians 4:4-6
- List the gifts to be found in the communion of the saints. Romans 12:6-8.
- Which are the marks of the true Christian? Belgic Confession, art. 29 (3rd paragraph).