Q. How did the Son of God become our Savior?
A. God sent His Son to be born as a baby in Bethlehem.
Q. Was Jesus truly man?
A. Yes, He became like us in everything except sin.
Q. Was He still God?
A. Yes, He was both God and man in one person.
Q. Why is He called Jesus?
A. He saves His people from their sins.
Q. Why is He called Christ?
A. He was sent by God and anointed with the Holy Spirit.
Q. What was the work of Christ?
A. He was sent to be our Chief Prophet, our only High Priest, and our Eternal King.
Q. Why are you called a Christian?
A. Because I belong to Jesus Christ who bought me with His blood.
Talking Things Over:
- How do Gabriel’s words show that Jesus was to be human? Divine?
- What were the tasks of the Old Testament prophets? priests? kings?
- How do Gabriel’s words show Jesus was to be a King? (Luke 1:26-32)
- To which of His works of prophet, priest, or king, do the following refer: Luke 4:15,18; John 1:29; Luke 17:20-21; Luke 19:38, Hebrews 10:12?
- The Heidelberg Catechism in Lord’s Day 12, teaches us that we are called Christians for the same reason that our Savior was called Christ. Discuss how we can be prophets, priests, and kings.
Words to Remember:
Divine / Human – Jesus was fully God and fully man in one person.
Prophet – This describes Jesus’ work of preaching and teaching the will of God.
Priest – This describes Jesus’ work of offering Himself as a sacrifice for sin.
King – This describes Jesus’ work of ruling over all things.