Q. Why is God called Father?
A. He is the Father of creation, the Father of Jesus, and the Father of believers
Q. Why is He called the Father of creation?
A. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1).
Q. How did God create all things?
A. God made all things out of nothing in 6 days.
Q. Why is He called the Father of Jesus?
A. Because Jesus is His only begotten Son.
Q. Why is He called the Father of all believers?
A. He has adopted us in Christ to be His children.
Q. What does it mean for you that you are a child of God?
A. God will take care of me and provide for my needs.
Q. What is God’s care for His world called?
Talking Things Over:
- Show from Matthew 6 that God is the Father of creation and of believers.
- How were we changed from enemies to children of God?
- What do the first two words of the Lord’s Prayer teach us about what our attitude should be when we pray to God?
- What does the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-32 teach us about our Father?
- What does the doctrine of Providence mean for us when we experience difficult times in our lives? Good times? Can things happen to us which are accidents? see Q&A 28
Words to Remember:
Creation – This was when God brought the whole universe into existence as we have recorded for us in Genesis 1.
Adoption – God chooses sinners who were His enemies to be His children because of what Jesus did on their behalf.
Trust – I can depend on God for all my needs because He is my Father.
Providence – God rules over and cares for all things.