Things to Learn:
1. Did God make man so wicked and perverse?
By no means, but God created man good and after his own image, in true knowledge and righteousness and holiness.
2. Whence, then, comes this depraved nature?
From the fall and disobedience of our first parents, by which our nature became so corrupt that we are all conceived and born in sin. (Rom. 5:12)
3. What was that disobedience?
That they did eat of the fruit of the tree which God had forbidden them.
4. Are we, then, unable to do any good and prone to all evil?
Yes, indeed, unless we are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. (John 3:5; Eph. 2:1)
Things to Look Up:
- Show how the Bible rejects the evolutionary theory of man’s beginnings. Gen. 1:24, 25, 31
- How does Paul describe the image of God in Col. 3:9,10 and Eph. 4:24?
- Prove that Adam sinned as our representative. Rom. 5:12.
- What does David confess about the beginnings of sin in his life? Psalm 51:5
- How does the Belgic Confession (art. 15) describe our original sin?