Things to Learn:
1. How can we escape this punishment and be again received into God’s favor?
Only by such a Mediator, who makes full satisfaction for our sins and is able to deliver us. (Hebr. 9:15)
2. Can any mere creature perform this work?
Indeed not, for no mere creature can bear the burden of God’s wrath against sin and deliver us from it.
3. What kind of a Mediator, then, do we need?
One who is both true and righteous man, yet greater than man; that is, one who is also very God.
4. Who is this Mediator?
Our Lord Jesus Christ, who was given to us by God to be our wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption. (1 Cor. 1:30)
Things to Look Up:
- Prove that the Old Testament sacrifices could not save but pointed forward to Christ. Hebr. 10:4,9 and 10.
- Show from Scripture that Christ is both God and man. John 17:5; 1 Tim. 2:5
- What does the Bible say about the work of angels? Hebr. 1:14; Matt. 18:10; Revel. 19:10.
- How does Paul describe the person and work of Jesus Christ? Colos. 1:15-18.
- Why is salvation found only in Jesus Christ? Acts 4:12