Things to Learn:
1. Who is the Savior sent by God?
The only Savior is God’s eternal and only-begotten Son, sent into this world in the fullness of time. (Gal. 4:4)
2. Why is He called Jesus?
Because He alone saves his people from all their sins. (Matt. 1:21)
3. Why is He called Christ, that is, “the Anointed One?”
Because He was set apart by the Father and anointed with the Holy Spirit to be our chief prophet, our only high-priest and our eternal king.
4. Why, then, are you called a Christian?
Because through Christ I have received the anointing of the Holy Spirit and therefore am called by God to be a prophet, priest and king. (Acts 11:26)
5. Why is He called our Lord?
Because He bought us with his blood, shed on the cross, and so has made us his own possession. (I Cor. 6:20)
Things to Look Up:
- Show from Hebrews 1:1-3 that Jesus was very God as well as man.
- What kind of a Savior do we need? Hebrews 2:17,18.
- Outline what happened at Christ’s baptism. Matt. 3:14-17.
- Prove from Scripture that Christ is our prophet, Acts 3:22; our priest, Hebrews 9:11,12; and our king, Luke 1:32,33.
- What is the great purpose of Christ’s death for his people? Rev. 5:9,10.