Things to Learn:
1. How did God’s only-begotten Son become man for our salvation?
He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary, thus taking to himself our human nature, both body and soul, yet without sin. (Luke 1:35)
2. What did Christ suffer?
All his days on earth, but especially towards the end of his life, Christ bore for us the wrath of God against sin. (1 Peter 3:18)
3. Why did Christ have to die on the cross?
By this death, in which Christ was rejected by both God and man, he took the curse of sin from us upon Himself. (Gal. 3:13)
4. Since Christ died for us, why must we still die?
Our death is no longer a payment for sin, but rather a dying to this sinful life and an entering into eternal life. (Phil. 1:23)
5. What does it mean that Christ descended into hell?
This means that he suffered all the terrors of being forsaken by God, so that in my greatest temptations I may be assured that God for Christ’s sake will never forsake me. (Matt. 27:46)
Things to Look Up:
- How and why did Jesus have to be born of the virgin? Luke 1:35.
- Why did Jesus take upon himself our human nature? Heb. 2:14.
- For whom did Jesus die? John 10:14,15; also John 6:37.
- How are we saved through Christ? Romans 5:8,9; also John 3:15.
- How great was Christ’s suffering? Matt. 27:46.